Journal 1

This week I have made what I consider to be significant progress on my upcoming animation with the working title “Clayton’s Story”.

First, I completed an animatic for the piece and essentially finished preproduction for the piece. Below is my animatic. I’m still not happy with a lot of the shots and I’m still playing with it. As you read this I’m fleshing out the ending portion.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In addition to this, I modeled a shark that will be part of my animation. It’s not done but it’s getting there.

LANDSHARK.0001.jpeg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I also 2d hand animated a key shot. I might revisit this later because I’m not 100% happy with it yet, but it’s coming along. I think I need to add more scribbles. Also the voice for this is going to sound completely different. It’ll be much more effective in context and with the proper audio supporting it. I also plan on adding film grain in post.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I also rendered out a test for one of my shots, mainly to make sure I had a grasp on how to render things and because I wanted to see what it would look like. (This is super early and rough and will be substantially different)

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I did a test render of a short scene in an effort to play with materials and see if I could achieve a particular aesthetic. It’s not one of my shots for the piece, but just something I wanted to do for practice. It looks pretty nice but I’m getting some weird grainy-ness on the hand. Maybe this has something to do with the sub-surface scattering. Currently figuring out why.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This week I also learned how to simulate and model liquids and use skydome lights. This will be important for a couple of my shots. But it takes like 40 years to render so I don’t even know, man. It might take too long to render. This isn’t even the quality I want and it still took forever. Also, I realize it looks like ice, I didn’t create much turbulence intentionally. But I know how.

wateer.jpg

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I also learned how to make video glitch art, which I am considering including in the ending portion of my animation. Below is a test of this process where I glitched a “music video” that I made a few weeks ago.

 

Advertisements

About JamesWrobel

I'm a junior at Alfred State College majoring in Digital Media and Animation. I specialize in digital art and photography rather than drawing and painting. It's a work in progress and I'm working hard to achieve my dreams.
This entry was posted in Time-Based and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s